Monday, October 8, 2007

Piece of my soul

I've been assigned by my husband to take a moment. I can't imagine why I might need one. The last few hours have been filled with needy babies, ridiculous tantrums, pokes and jabs - some unintentional and others quite on purpose. After pulling myself off the kitchen floor (where I had been bottle feeding the twins), replacing my glasses that had just been ripped roughly off my face by a smiling Dylan and pulling my disheveled and drooled on hair back out of my face I spoke toward the sky the following, motherly comment addressed to no child in particular: "Yes, please take yet one more piece of my soul."

Ok, so that was a bit extreme. Of course, after having said it, I looked over at Chris who just laughed and so did I. What a motherly thing to say. Actually, it is quite motherly in that I know I'm not the first mom to feel a bit stripped of self-hood while wiggly, parasitic (albeit adorable) babies, crawl, pull and harass every reachable part of my body. Slimed, bitten, scorned, yelled at, whined to, needed, demanded, needed, demanded, wanted. It can be a bit much at times and, at those times, it's hard to have the best perspective so it was understandable that I needed to say, "yes, please take yet one more piece of my soul."

It was such a naughty thing to say and so crummy of me that it felt super to say it. I almost felt a little weight was pulled off me (no, it wasn't Dylan climbing off of me - he was being distracted by his daddy). So, I walked out of the room and into the computer room and shut the door. Quiet. Well, except for the muffled sounds of children on the other side of the door. Perhaps if I can stay in here for just a few more minutes, I can regain my mental integrity and allow my nerves to feel unstimulated for just enough time for them to relax and be at peace even if it is just for a moment.

All the peace-love-carry my baby all the time-never let them cry-type-moms will likely frown at my detachment. That's ok because I'll take their criticism any day - it's nothing compared to my normal world so bring it on. I'd love to see a mother of 3 boys all under the age of 3 carry her babies all the time. Wouldn't that be a riot? Seriously, though, if a mom finds that kind of parenting satisfying the more power to them. Of course, I still want to see one juggling 3 boys like mine. [Devilish laughter]

So, I'm feeling a little more refreshed and ready to face the night time madness (a/k/a bath and night-night time). Perhaps a nice cold brew might help take the edge off a little more then I'll be able to sit back (it's hard to do when they're climbing all over you but I mean this figuratively) and drink in the beauty (not the beer - I only want one) of my children who actually fill my soul when they're not ripping it to shreds.

2 comments:

Jen said...

Oh wow. I am so glad I found your blog.

I know this post is older but everything you said in that one and the one about worrying about money is so very familiar. I had a set of twins when my daughter was 26 months old -- we could have (just barely) afforded one, but when we found out it was twins that blew everything. We were so poor. So stressed. Three little tiny people. Wow.

I am on the other side of it now -- I just finished my 2nd round of 3 under 3, actually -- we had another little girl when our twin boys were 26 months, and she just turned 1. Things are so much better. What you have been going through and probably are still going through is so very mind-blowingly hard, and most people have no idea.

But it gets better, and I think you are already seeing that. I have good days and bad, now, but NOTHING like what the first year or 18 months were like. Everyone who says, "It just gets harder!" is full of crap.

What you are doing is hard, and you should give yourself mad props.

Take care!

Cannon said...

Thanks for your encouragement! It really helps to hear from another mom who, is not only going through a similar situation, but one who has survived the difficult times! Thank you!

Mommy Frog