Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Damage report

After ripping my dry contacts from my eyes, sitting down in a comfortable chair and putting my aching feet up, I'm struck by how beaten I am today. I don't know what it was about today but the energy level in the house was beyond ridiculous. It sent repeated shock waves throughout my body. I can't help but feel that these 3 little boys are whittling me down into their idea of their mom and that they could compete with air and water that erodes earth into mountains. Unfortunately, they've already made gravity pull my body down closer to the ground, carved crevices in my skin (stretch marks) and made me bulge forever at my waste line.

I'm a bit dramatic tonight. Did I mention my feet hurt?

So, tonight I ponder why it was so nuts today and I can't help but fear that this is a new trend, one that includes images like Neil spinning his baby brother Dylan around over and over and over again in our office chair, three babies squirming maddeningly in my lap, one baby climbing the table, one crying and the other squirting milk out of his mouth in fits of giggles. Writing about it makes it seem relatively innocent and carefree but that is only just a few flashes of memory from today. It was like that from sun up to sun down, non stop.

I guess the good thing is that Neil and Dylan seem to be doing much better now that they have their tubes in their ears. Of course, as Neil was screaming incredibly loudly and joyfully into a cup while I dried him off from his bath, I asked Chris if we could take his tubes out so that he'd quit being so insanely happy. Horrible thing for a mom to say even when completely joking. I do think he is feeling better so now I have to find the energy to keep up with the happy little guy.

As for Evan, he feels like dog doo since he has infections in both ears. I'm sure we'll end up getting tubes in his ears soon - probably before the month ends. At least we already know what to expect and we've paid our deductible for this year!

So, I'm unwinding now and letting the staticky twitch of my exhausted muscles ease and I can't help but laugh about my boys. They are adorable. They're happy and they know they're loved. They kick my butt but they're worth it even if I want to kick their behinds for grinding me down to a pile of dust at the end of each day. Being this tired and exhausted should only prove to me how hard I really work and how worth it they really are.

1 comment:

Rhea said...

Great post today! I love this line: they could compete with air and water that erodes earth into mountains. That says it all in such poetic imagery!