Friday, June 8, 2007

What I Can't Afford

I can't afford to be in a bad mood. I can't afford to be distracted. I can't afford to be sick. I can't afford to be angry. I can't afford to be selfish. I can't afford to be tired. I can't afford to be absent. I can't afford to be stupid. I can't afford to be sleepy. Why?

These things delay or prevent me from doing things that have to get done: physical therapy nail trimming lotion applying diaper changing tummy time doctor appointments medicine administering love giving school enrolling disciplining. (Commas intentionally left off since none of these things occur independently - they blur together and are often simultaneous.)

I'm human though so I'm in debt to my babies because I get in bad moods, get distracted, get sick, get angry, am selfish, am tired, am occasionally absent, am stupid, am sleepy.

They say that mom's need to take care of themselves in order to take care of their babies but I can't help but wonder when can I? I can't afford to.

No comments: