Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Bedtime

On Mother's Day, my husband gave me the best gift a husband and father could give: a free day pass. He gave me a guilt-free, unlimited day to do whatever I wanted. With so few opportunities to have a day to myself, I struggled with what I was going to do with my day. Go on a day trip somewhere? Spend time with friends? Shop?

Although I always enjoy spending time with friends, I found myself craving time alone. Being alone is so rare these days. I cherish those few minutes in the day where I am completely alone and can relax. I also realized that I'm always doing something - whether it's taking care of babies, folding laundry or cleaning house, I rarely just sit quietly alone and rest. After a long weekend, I realized it was time for my special day. As coo coo as it sounds, I had the best vacation I could think up and it was free! I laid in bed, ate crackers, watched tv and napped the entire day. It was wonderful.

I have to say we're fortunate to have the house we have right now (even though we are trying to sell it) because the "grown up" part of the house is separated from the kids' section so it's almost like being in our own apartment when we're in our part of the house. That's ideal when solace is needed and I was enjoying it yesterday.

Although I was still in ear shot of the kids' tantrums and fussiness, they were surprisingly good the whole day. I enjoyed hearing them giggling with their daddy, knowing that they have a strong bond with him and that they don't solely rely on me. They're actually better with him. He says it's because they know they won't get as much from him as they do from me. I'm sure that's true. I probably make things a lot harder on myself by answering many of their needs, even when they're silly ones. It's the curse of being a mom. As Chris said to me before we had kids, "Moms are crazy." He didn't mean this in a bad way but I totally understand it now. We moms are nuts and our kids are lucky because we are.

So, I enjoyed my day. I knew I had had enough rest though when, as the evening approached, I was missing my boys, wanting to hold them and kiss them. I needed a break so I could enjoy them again and so I had something to give. I won't lie and say that I'm now stress-free and completely calm, because I'm not, but I at least I had a little while to rest and gain some perspective and to again appreciate what is important. I especially feel thankful that I have such a good and caring husband who gave me the best gift of all: rest. Thanks, honey.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dude! Yer husband's fucking awesome!!!

Rhea said...

What a wonderful gift from your husband! Mothers all need a day off here and there. Sounds like they do great with their dad too!