Saturday, May 3, 2008

Poisoned

It's been a long time since I gave up the illusion that Friday night's were a time for hanging out with friends, having a brew and experiencing carefree merriment. Although I still am blessed with the occasional opportunity to do just that, more times than not I find myself tucked in bed early and asleep before 10:30. Last night was altogether different. Unlike normal nights, I didn't go to bed until at least midnight but, also unlike the fun Friday's of my youthful, pre-children days, I was definitely not having fun.

It must have been the lettuce. I was the only one who ate it and, boy, am I glad that my boys, including my husband, weren't eager to chow down on a good salad. My body is probably as passionate as my heart because when it does something, it goes all out. Every bit of anything in my gut was out and out and out. I was dehydrated quickly and begging for a ride to the hospital as I lay face down on the cold, ceramic tile in our bathroom. I was supremely defeated and helpless.

Help arrived via my wonderful parents and my sweet husband. Down to a regional hospital, wheeled into the ER because I couldn't even lift my head much less my feet, we waited in the waiting room. I fought off passing out as much as I could by repeating the names of my children in my head and I begged for mercy to be given a sweet, sweet IV because I knew I was dehydrated. Thank God for the triage nurse who saw that I was "pitiful" and also had difficulty finding my blood pressure. Off to the back I went with my barf bucket in tow.

Oh, sweet, merciful medical care. I couldn't help but ponder as my body took in the fluid what a person would do if they didn't have access to care. Although we had tried to rehydrate me at home, I simply could not keep anything down. I thanked my lucky stars as I began to focus again, my nausea subsided and the stomach cramps eased to a dull, sore pain. I joked with the nurse that I felt like I had just had a ridiculous ab work out. No doubt I lost a pound or two too. It sure wasn't worth it though. I can tell you that.

Two bags of IV fluids later and a prescription for anti-nausea meds, my hubby and Dad drove me back home where my tired Mom waited. The crisis over and the hour way into the evening, my sleepy but relieved parents drove home and I promptly fell asleep.

Throughout the ordeal, as I was at the mercy of my body's rejection of the food, I counted my blessings: my husband and children, my sweet, caring parents, and the professional staff at the hospital. It was odd that my evening went from carefree to crisis to relief so quickly and I was humbled yet again by how life can throw you a curve ball without any sign the ball is coming and going to knock you flat on your keister.

So, I'm eating lightly today and taking it easy for now. Any food that might have been the culprit is in the trash and I'm just supremely thankful that I was the only one who went through that last night. I now have a real appreciation for why they call it food poisoning and am glad that I had access to the antidote that got me through it. Thanks to everyone who helped me last night.

2 comments:

Rhea said...

I'm so sorry you were so sick. Sounds MISERABLE. Can you get food poisoning from lettuce???

Cannon said...

Thanks! Apparently so. The doc thought it was entirely possible. I washed it before eating and it was pretty fresh so they must have dipped it in cow dung before it got to me. :-) Blah.