Thursday, May 29, 2008

What was I thinking?

The house was quiet - eerily so. This house should only be quiet when we're gone or when the smaller 3/5 of the house are sleeping soundly. Neither of those applied so I knew something wasn't right. I was in ear shot of all the guys and I had been paying attention to their movements for a while but then what I thought was a temporary lull in activity extended into the dangerous territory of being quiet for too long. It was time to investigate.

I found the eldest playing quietly by himself - good job! That left the twins. Nothing more dangerous than two mobile boogers teaming up in their mischievous pursuits. I saw signs of them before I actually tracked them down. They left the telltale sign of my bad decision to let them eat popsicles in the house - what was I thinking? A little drop of green here, a red drop there. I quietly followed the drips to the music room where they had closed the door. Hmmm.... I didn't want to open the door and find them playing nicely together and risk disturbing a wonderful moment for me! I also didn't want to ignore what my mommy instinct told me was too risky to ignore. They were just too quiet.

I slowly opened the door. No babies but I could hear them now talking twin to each other. They were at least fine so that was good but what were they doing? Ahhh. The bathroom. Joy. Our once clean, white bathroom was now a rainbow of popsicle. Lime and strawberry flavored toilet and floor. How lovely. I herded the little rascals out of the bathroom and they were agreeable thankfully. Of course, they went immediately to the rug on the floor and a huge glob of popsicle splatted on the rug - at least it was the lime one instead of the strawberry one. As I closed the door to the bathroom behind me, noting to myself to remember to return to it to clean it, I paused as I turned back to look at the two little rascals with their messy faces and shirts. It's hard to be annoyed with them even when they're that messy. They simply looked adorable, adorably sticky and colorful.

They returned to being noisy again, especially after they fought being cleaned up. The bathroom was eventually cleaned and their sweet tracks wiped up. Rather than being annoyed with them for making a mess, I laughed at myself for being so stupid. Popsicles in the house? Seriously, what was I thinking?

No comments: