Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Dried and frozen

As Thomas the Train plays in the play room, I feel the need to toot my own horn. You see, I'm new to the homemaker business and, with a long history of feminist leanings (if not totally tipped over), I have rebelled against domesticity like most men. In the last few weeks, I have discovered that I actually quite enjoy it and am eager to learn how to be a better master of my trade. (What else am I going to do since I don't have time to pursue a paying career at this point, plus, this is such a critical time in our boys' lives that I want to do my best for the boys.)

From canning, dehydrating food and making homemade (and yummy) popsicles, I am thoroughly enjoying finding ways to preserve food so it lasts longer, making healthy and tasty treats for the boys, and learning new ways to make home fun, comforting and a pleasure for all of us. (Of course, I say this as one of my boys is whining but you understand what I'm saying.)
Although I canned the salsa weeks ago, we don't get to try it until this weekend (it required sitting a spell for the flavor to reach its peak). As for drying foods, my favorites so far are mangos, watermelon, peaches and bananas. Since we're beginning to purchase more locally grown foods, though, we'll have to eventually give up mangos and bananas. Today, my dehydrator is plugging away on honeydew. So far, it promises to be good as well. Interestingly, dehydrating foods makes the flavor of the food become more concentrated and the final product is an easily transportable and healthy snacks for the boys.

As for the popsicles, I have tried two recipes so far from Mormon Chic. (I figure since we're considering moving to SLC, I might as well see what these ladies know.) I have made the "Dripless Popsicle" which is tasty but, as Chris points out, is full of chemicals. The other one I made is watermelon popsicles. They are definitely healthier and all the boys seem to like it.

I feel that my slow transformation to domestic chic is timely because I think it's going to become increasingly necessary to preserve our food and waste less as oil prices continue to rise and our current food transporation system becomes challenged by it. (I highly suggest reading Animal Vegetable Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver which addresses issues related to peak oil and food security.) Buying locally grown foods and learning how to preserve food before circumstances actually require us to do that might make the transition a little less stressful if we are already confident in our abilities to take care of ourselves and our families.

Although I'm doing this as a way to expand my skills, ultimately I'm doing this because I feel that soon it may be necessary and I want to be ready for it. If things end up being fine and my concerns are unwarranted then the worst thing that happens is that we save money, waste less and our family eats a healthier diet than that found in processed, packaged goods made by people who don't know my children. If they don't, I'm hoping that what I'm learning will help us make the most of what's available so that we may have full bellies in the years to come.

1 comment:

Rhea said...

You go girl. Way to look ahead and to plan for what's best for your family. I admire that, and I wish I did more of the food preserving and such like you do.