Monday, June 30, 2008

Saying Bye

Our fate has been decided and we’re moving to Salt Lake City. Although we go about our daily routine of feeding, clothing and playing with our babies, our house is slowly emptying as towers of boxes climb to the ceilings. Trying to maintain order during a time of deconstruction is challenging but we’re doing it in stages in order to allow ourselves and our boys to adjust to the changes.

As I place one of our possessions in a box, I can’t help but remind myself that one day I’ll be pulling that same object out in a new home. I know how I’m feeling now – although I can’t really define it since it’s comprised of many emotions – I wonder what I’ll be feeling then. I can’t help but worry that I’ll be sad and filled with regret but I hope I’ll be optimistic and excited about our new life in SLC.

As we pack up our belongings, we’re also saying our farewells to our loved ones. Last Saturday, we met with some of our closest friends at a local bar. With the breeze of an afternoon shower bathing us in coolness, our hearts were warmed with the love of friendship and our appreciation of our shared histories. The night was ripe with giggles as we let our guards down and just shared the evening together just one more time.

Heavy with sleepiness, good beer and food, we drove home (Chris was designated so he had only had a beer or two hours before) later than we had in a long time. Feeling the vibration of 75 below us, I was soothed by thoughts of our friends. Spending time with our friends was like slipping into our childhood bed and snuggling in a nice, warm blanket. I was at peace despite not knowing when we’d see them again. I know our friendships are enduring and that the critical component is love and connection and I knew we had that.

No comments: