Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Multi-worries

I just realized that not only have I honed my skills at multi-tasking (example: changing one baby's diapers, discussing colors in Spanish with another, and using my foot to keep the other baby from trying to get the just-removed dirty diaper), I've also accomplished multi-worrying. I can manage to worry about a billion things at once. What an amazing skill about which I am so pleased to have accomplished.

My brain spits out worries at an amazing pace, overlapping each other in the strangest ways and splitting off into others. These days I worry about selling the house, moving to SLC, having money, being a good parent, being a good daughter, being a good wife, friend, citizen. I'm also worried about potty training my oldest after talking with his school which is pressuring me and him about it. I'm worried about the economy, politics, food safety, environmental protection, public health. It's amazing how much energy - that I don't have anyway - still manages to get focused on a variety of issues, many of which are out of my control.

So, maybe I should have been a slug. Of course, who knows, they might worry about whether they have enough goo in their bodies to slide across the sidewalk before they dry up. See what a creative worrier I am? I can make a slug's everyday existence seem stressful. Challenge me! I bet I can out worry you.

Anyway, I'm obviously making fun of myself and my tendency to worry. Ultimately, all my worries are in my head. Perhaps if I make fun of them enough they'll go away. Just in case, though, I'll drink this glass of wine.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Notebook, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://notebooks-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.

Rhea said...

I hope the wine helped! I can totally relate to this post. I am an accomplished multi-worrier myself, and in fact, I'm sure I hold some sort of national title excelling in this sport. :o)