Thursday, March 13, 2008

Needy-Wants

We're seemingly over the odd stomach ick that briefly affected our oldest. As far as we can tell, it was a fluke. Now that we're past the hurl-arity, we've come down with a common disease around here - the needy-wants. I think all children get this bug at least once a day but unfortunately it can occur every few minutes.

Symptoms of the needy-wants are persistent neediness for an unknown thing, indecisiveness about what it is they want and a tendency to talk in a whiny tone that can escalate to the pitch of a pig at slaughter. However unpleasant this condition must be for the child, it is very difficult for the primary caregiver or of the individual from whom the child thinks he can get his needy-want satisfied.

Fear not, you are not alone. As sad as it is, there are no definite cures but there are a few things that can help. Ignoring their incessant demands is helpful but is maddeningly ineffective if your child is determined to give you the second hand disease which is utter, total madness. Alternatively, fulfilling each and every wish is tantamount to keeping your child needy-wanting and, again, also leads to utter and total madness. Finally, if you're desperate enough to try this, you may find it helpful to sing the "Needy-Wants" song to the tune of polly wolly doodle all day. Here is how it goes. It will likely be received with giggles and may at least temporarily interrupt the, "I want. . . " and "I need. . ." cycle.

I have the needy-wants
the needy wants
the needy, needy, needy, needy wants.
I want some thing and I need it now.
Needy, needy, needy, needy want.

I don't know what I need and
neither do you but I need it, need it now.
Give it to me really, really soon
or I'm going to have a cow.

The needy wants.
The needy wants.
The needy, needy, needy, needy wants.
I need something and I need it now.
Needy needy needy needy wants.

Of course, if you make the song too funny you can find that you've altered your child's latest want to having the song sung over and over again. So, one should be careful how much of the song you administer to your child since the effects of the song vary per child.

1 comment:

Rhea said...

Ok, I have a new term to use: the needy wants. I love it! Perfect. We get those over here all the time, especially when someone's sick or not feeling well.

Funny post, thanks!